The European Council today re-elected Charles Michel as its president for a second term of two and a half years, from 1 June 2022 to 30 November 2024. Charles Michel was also re-appointed as President of the Euro Summit for the same period.
He is the third full-time President of the European Council, following the creation of the post on 1 December 2009 under the Treaty of Lisbon.
Charles Michel has been the President of the European Council since 1 December 2019. Prior to that, he was Prime Minister of Belgium.
- Biography of Charles Michel
- President Charles Michel: First year in images (visual story)
- President Charles Michel: Second year in images (visual story)
The role of the President of the European Council
The President chairs European Council meetings and drives forward its work. He also ensures the external representation of the EU at his level on issues concerning its common foreign and security policy.
- More information on the role and appointment of the President of the European Council
- Former presidents of the European Council