MEPs will address their questions to experts on COVID-19 variants and the vaccines’ efficacy against them. Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety
MEPs will address their questions to experts on COVID-19 variants and the vaccines’ efficacy against them.
On Monday, Members of the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (ENVI) Committee will question representatives from the European Medicines Agency (EMA), the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) and the World Health Organisation (WHO) on the efficacy of vaccines against mutations of the COVID-19 virus.
The invited experts are:
- Dr Marco Cavaleri, Head of biological health threats and vaccines strategy and Chair of the COVID-19 Emergency Task Force, EMA
- Dr Bruno Ciancio, Head of surveillance, ECDC
- Dr Katherine O’Brien, Department of Immunisation, Vaccines and Biologicals Director, WHO.
During the same meeting, Commission Deputy Director-General for Health Pierre Delsaux will present MEPs with the Commission’s communication on the HERA Incubator, a project designed to monitor variants, exchange data and cooperate on adapting vaccines.
When: Monday 15 March 2021, 13:30 – 15:45
Where: European Parliament in Brussels, room Paul Henri Spaak 1A002 and videoconference. You can watch the debate live here.
Parliament organised several debates in different committees as well as at plenary sessions on various aspects of the COVID-19 vaccination strategy. Most recently, MEPs discussed ways to increase the roll-out of vaccines with CEOs of pharmaceutical companies. The public health committee will evaluate the growing threat of COVID-19 variants and the EU plans to tackle this challenge.
- Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety
- Adapting COVID-19 vaccines to SARS-CoV-2 variants: guidance for vaccine manufacturers (EMA)
- Infographic: Mutation of SARS-CoV2 – current variants of concern (ECDC)
- The effects of virus variants on COVID-19 vaccines (WHO)
- Coronavirus: preparing Europe for the increased threat of variants (HERA Incubator – European Commission)
- Free photos, video and audio material related to EU vaccines strategy
Source : © European Union, 2021 – EP
Source: Press release – COVID-19 vaccines: MEPs to debate concerns about virus mutation