On Thursday, MEPs will debate the use of spyware outside of the EU and its implications for the EU’s foreign relations with guest speakers.
Where: European Parliament in Strasbourg, Louise Weiss building, room N1.3
When: Thursday 15 December 2022, 09.00 – 12.00 CET
In the public hearing organised by the Committee of Inquiry to investigate the use of Pegasus and equivalent surveillance spyware (PEGA) in association with the Committee on Foreign Affairs (AFET), MEPs and guest experts discuss cases of spyware use outside the EU, along with their implications for the EU’s foreign relations.
- Ms Clémence Bectarte, lawyer of Mr Salah Hamouri (Lawyer and Human Rights defender targeted with Pegasus) – TBC
- Mr Guilhem Giraud, expert on surveillance technologies
- Ms Ilia Siatitsa, Programme Director and Senior Legal Officer, Privacy International
- Mr Pedro Vaca Villareal, Special Rapporteur for Freedom of Expression of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR)
- Ms Marta Hirsch-Ziembinska, Principal Adviser on the Charter of Fundamental Rights, European Ombudsman
You can follow the discussion here (livestream and video-on-demand).