Author: Lucian Goleanu
January 30, 2023
Ahead of the EU- Ukraine Summit on Friday, Renew Europe has tabled a resolution in the European Parliament, to be adopted on Thursday, calling for a number of specific measures to be taken by the European Commission and the European Council. Notably, Renew Europe calls on the Commission to produces a concrete proposal for the transfer of the frozen assets of the Russian Central Bank directly to the state of Ukraine and for a fast start to the accession process.
In its resolution, the Renew Europe Group calls for:
- A fast start to the EU accession process. A bold and ambitious plan for these negotiations.
- The gradual integration of Ukraine into the EU single market and sectoral programmes.
- Increased financial, technical and political support.
- A Special Tribunal on the crime of aggression against Ukraine.
- The launch of a full set of sanctions against all companies and individuals that still trade with Russia or with Russian companies; for an extension of the sanctions to all 6000 Russian individuals indicated by the Navalny Foundation against corruption.
- A concrete proposal from the Commission for the transfer of the frozen assets of the Russian Central Bank directly to the state of Ukraine (over EUR 300 billion).
- Bilateral parliamentary meetings between the parliaments of the Member States and of Ukraine. Calls for the period when observers from Ukraine can take up seats in the European Parliament to be brought forward.
Renew Europe MEP, Petras Auštrevičius (Lithuanian Liberal Movement), shadow rapporteur on Ukraine, said:
“It is vital that the European Commission goes to the EU – Ukraine Summit with a substantial package of measures and support. Ukraine defends our collective European freedom and the ambition of this summit should match this truth. In addition to increased military support, which is needed quickly, the people of Ukraine need a strong European perspective. We want Ukraine to join our European family as soon as possible.”
Source – Renew Europe