Thu. Oct 6th, 2022
Brussels, 16 August 2022
See question(s) : E-002249/2022
Answer given by Mr Wojciechowski
on behalf of the European Commission
Member States may use the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development and the European Agricultural Guarantee Fund to help affected farmers (e.g. to restore agricultural potential and to compensate losses through risk management tools or Voluntary Coupled Support1).
Spain could grant support to affected farmers from its national budget in line with the EU State aid rules. Management of water resources in line with the Water Framework Directive2 is essential also to address drought risks.
On food security, the Commission considered the war in Ukraine when assessing the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) Strategic Plans, and urged Member States to reduce their dependence on imported inputs and to make agriculture production sustainable and climate resilient through organisational and technical solutions, in line with the EU strategy on adaptation to climate change3.
In March 2022, the Commission presented a Communication with a4 range of actions for global food security and to support farmers and consumers in light of rising food prices and input costs; followed by the adoption of an exceptional measure to allow Member States to pay a one-off lump sum to farmers and agri-food businesses affected by significant increases in input costs.

1 Voluntary coupled support
2 Directive 2000/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2000 establishing a framework for Community action in the field of water policy, OJ L 327, 22.12.2000, p. 1–73.
3 COM(2021)82.
GDPR Cookie Consent with Real Cookie Banner